The Uninspired Manifesto

Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Simpsons Movie



So, I woke up this morning, earlier than I wanted to, all so I could make my way to the local mall and check out The Simspons Movie. Being the first movie I'd actually paid to see in quite some time, it was somewhat a surreal experience, in as much as when I walked out, I wished I had chosen something else... particularly 'Talk To Me', because its a much better film, but it wasn't playing there. I almost dropped in on Sunshine, buit I've seen it three times already, and I know that crispy guy would freak me the fuck out if I saw him on a 50 ft. screen.

Anyway, on to the Simspons movie. If you haven't seen it yet, there will probably be spoilers, so avert your eyes. The real tragedy with this film is that all the positive reviews say there about as many laughs as your three favorite simpsons episodes put together, and that's completely untrue. It's not that I didn't laugh, its just all the really funny parts have already been shown in the trailers... except for Bart getting drunk and Homer flipping off the town... that was some funny shit. Still, the laughs are few and far between, and the plot, while mildly coherent, seems drawn out even for the 80-minute running time.

The other thing that really bothered me was the dialouge. I really hoped they would have left the writing to people they brought back from earlier seasons, but a lot of it seems like shit from the new guys, and anyone keeping up with the last few seasons know how bad the writing is. That, combined with a few sub-plots that went nowhere, and added nothing to the overall film, while not completely turning me off, really fucked up the experience. In the end, there were worse movies I could have seen, so... i guess that's something.
posted by Nick at 10:45 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home