The Uninspired Manifesto

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I Really Should Watch My Local News More Often

So, last night I was baking a cake (fuck you, it's my kitchen and I'll do what I want) with my local news on in the opposite room. Now, I rarely watch my local news; and by rarely, I mean never. So, when I heard the words 'Harris County' and 'Bible monument', it's understandable that I had no fucking idea what was going on. Anyway, here's the story from the Houston Chronicle:
Harris County loses lawsuit over Bible monument

HOUSTON — The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to review lower court rulings that a monument outside a courthouse featuring the Bible should be removed and that Harris County must pay the legal fees for the woman who sued over the monument.

Harris County Attorney Mike Stafford had asked the high court to vacate a ruling by U.S. District Judge Sim Lake, who sided with a woman who sued in 2003 claiming a monument featuring the King James version of the Bible was offensive.

In the appeals court ruling, a majority of judges said preserving Lake's ruling would serve judicial and community interests by discouraging refiling of lawsuits on the same issues by the same parties.

...

"This case has always been about religious freedom," Kallinen said. "In the United States, we are a nation of many religions. And to stick with one sect of Christianity, that one respresented by the King James version Bible only, is not what America is about."
We won... Yay?

This went all the way to the Supreme Court, and I had no idea it was even happening. In my defense though, along with not watching local newscasts, I also don't read the local newspaper or associate with anyone that would discuss current events. In any case, the monument has been moved and plans are in place to somehow revise the monument in order to make it less offensive.
posted by Nick at 11:19 PM

1 Comments:

FACT: we ALL will croak at some point in our lifelong demise, thus, our indelible spirit rises-up to meet our Maker - absolutely nuthin we can do bout that: our soul wants to be loved, nourished, enveloped, return-to-her-maker-thing. Jesus doesn't have a sign outside of Heaven saying, 'Those who don't believe? C’est la guerre. C'mon in. Guess I wasn’t as forthright as Marvel Comix'. Be on the pro-LIFE-eration side, don't be on the side which'll swiftly LET/LEAD you down. I’m a small 'peAce-de-resistance' of a Larger Picture: give your soul that final chance. Repent and believe. God bless you with discernment.

March 4, 2011 at 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home